On June 26, 2018, Oklahoma became the 31st state to legalize medical marijuana, according to the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws (NORML). Tulsa medical marijuana attorney Stephen Cale is a member of the National Legal Committee for NORML. The change in the law came through an initiative in State Question 788. Of the 892,758 votes cast on SQ 788, 56.86 percent (507,582) voted in favor of it, making new law.

The newly created Oklahoma Medical Marijuana Authority will be in charge of implementing regulations that fulfill the requirements of SQ 788, said Tulsa Medical Marijuana Attorney Stephen Cale. Attorney Cale is a Tulsa criminal defense attorney with the Cale Law Office. Here are some frequently asked questions published by the Oklahoma Medical Marijuana Authority, a new division of the Oklahoma State Department of Health.

Q: When and where will applications be available?

A: Application information and requirements will be available online at by July 26. However, the Oklahoma State Department of Health (OSDH) will not receive or process applications until August 25.

Q: Who will be in charge of approving medical marijuana licenses?

A: The OSDH will create a regulatory office to oversee the program. This office will receive all licensing applications related to medical marijuana including patients, caregivers, growers, processors, transporters, and dispensaries.

Q: How long will it take for me to receive approval from OSDH?

A: The OSDH will respond to all applicants within 14 days on the denial or approval of your completed application packet.

Q: How much does a patient medical marijuana license cost?

A: The license application fee will cost $100 and need to be renewed every two years. For Medicaid/SoonerCare or Medicare enrollees, the license application fee will cost $20.

Q: What do I need from my physician to get a patient license?

A: For a patient to get a license, Oklahomans 18 and older would need to get a physician’s signature attesting that they need medical marijuana. Oklahomans under the age of 18 must get two physicians’ signatures. This must be documented on an official OSDH form that will be available on the program website,

Q: What if I need a caregiver to help me?

A: Under certain circumstances, a license may be provided to a designated caregiver of a licensed patient. Information will need to be provided to support this need.

Q: What is the process for growers, processors, transporters, and dispensaries to obtain a license?

A: On July 26, application information and requirements for these licenses will be available at Applicants must be at least 25 years old, reside in Oklahoma, and must be registered to conduct business in the state as well as meet other licensing requirements. Entities can have ownership consisting of no more than 25% ownership by non-Oklahoma residents. The license application fee for growers, processors, and dispensaries will be $2,500.

OSDH will continue to provide the most up to date information as the program is fully implemented. Check or call (405) 271-2266 for updates.

Tulsa medical marijuana Attorney Stephen Cale said that a violation of the law can result in civil and/or criminal penalties. If you’ve been arrested or find on a medical marijuana issue, call Tulsa medical marijuana Attorney Stephen Cale at 918-277-4800. Your initial consultation is free.

Tulsa medical marijuana Attorney Stephen Cale has been practicing for 20 years. He dedicates his practice to criminal defense and medical marijuana-related issues. He is a highly rated and skilled Tulsa criminal defense attorney.